I’m not a professional baker… I don’t have any training whatsoever… I am just a bonafide true admirer of the Cooking Channel and Food Network. When I get that baking or cooking bug, I peruse the interwebs and concoct some version of 20 various recipes into one, until I come up with something I like and love. Most times I fail, but once in a while I succeed gloriously. Blame it on my inquisitive nature.
One of my closest friends was celebrating her ‘Flirty Thirty’ and I decided that rather than purchase a gift, I’d make her a birthday cake. Hence why this recipe I found/created is called Andrea’s Cake. It’s a strawberry flavored cake with fresh whipped cream and strawberry filling, then covered in a velvety cream cheese frosting. The cake was extremely moist and filled with sweetness, but not too overwhelming. I had a few folks raving that I should bake wedding cakes. Hah. Again, I’m not a professional baker by any means.
Andrea’s Cake a.k.a. Strawberry Cake
- 2 3/4 cups cake flour
- 2 1/2 tsps baking powder
- 2 cups white sugar
- 3 ozs Jell-O Gelatin (strawberry flavored)
- 1 cup butter (softened)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup strawberries (pureed)
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries (fresh, sliced)
Cream Cheese Frosting with Strawberries
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 6 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups of strawberries (fresh, quartered)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease two round cake pans.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, sugar and dry strawberry gelatin until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, mixing well after each. Combine the flour and baking powder; stir into the batter alternately with the milk. Blend in vanilla and strawberry puree. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool before assembling.
- For the filling, mix heavy cream, confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla extract until it is fully whipped. Even first layer of cake, then spread whipped cream layer. Top with sliced strawberries, then place second layer of cake.
- In another bowl, mix butter, confectioners’ sugar, vanilla, and cream cheese until smooth. Cover cake with all of the frosting and decorate with quartered strawberries.
And that is it! Hope you all enjoy this wonderful cake.
‘Til the next time.